Respected dentist explains the causes and symptoms of gum disease
Keeping a healthy diet, good oral hygiene habits, and regular dental visits can help in avoiding gum disease. Preventive dental care is critical in maintaining oral as well overall health. Dr. Nikunj Raiyani and his team at Hanford Family Dental Center take the time to educate patients about various oral health conditions and diseases. They often educate patients about gum disease, how it develops, and its common causes and symptoms.
How gum disease developsThe first stage of gum disease is gingivitis. A sign of gingivitis is bleeding gums when brushing or flossing. The second stage of gum disease is periodontitis. Gums begin to pull away from the teeth allowing plaque bacteria to infect tooth roots supporting bones and fibers. In the advanced stage of periodontitis, supporting bones and fibers are destroyed. Teeth may shift or become loose.
Causes of gum diseaseThe following can increase the risk of developing gum disease:
- Genetics – Some people are genetically susceptible to gum disease.
- Age – The highest rates of gum disease are among adults 65 and older; however, patients of all ages can develop it.
- Stress – It makes more difficult for the body to fight off an infection such as gum disease. Stress can lead to other health issues such as hypertension.
- Smoking – Tobacco use may be one of the most significant risk factors in the development and progression of gum disease. Smoking can wreak havoc on oral as well as overall health leading to diabetes or cancer.
- Teeth clenching and grinding – This adds extra force on the teeth and gums, accelerating the chance of an infection.
- Poor diet – A diet low in nutrients can affect the immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight off an infection. This increases the risk of gum disease.
- Dentist near Lemoore, CA offers diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease
- Dentist near Coalinga, CA offers treatment options for gum infections
- Can gum disease be cured? Learn about treatment of periodontal disease with Hanford dentist
- Hanford dentist wants all patients to know the signs of gum infection and what to do
- Treatments for gum disease available in the Coalinga area
- What are the signs of gum disease for Lemoore area residents?
- Understanding gum disease and the importance of preventive care in Hanford, CA
- Periodontal disease treatment in California
- Dentist in Hanford, CA focuses on the prevention of gum disease
- Respected dentist explains the causes and symptoms of gum disease