Respected dentist explains the causes and symptoms of gum disease
How gum disease developsThe first stage of gum disease is gingivitis. A sign of gingivitis is bleeding gums when brushing or flossing. The second stage of gum disease is periodontitis. Gums begin to pull away from the teeth allowing plaque bacteria to infect tooth roots supporting bones and fibers. In the advanced stage of periodontitis, supporting bones and fibers are destroyed. Teeth may shift or become loose.
Causes of gum diseaseThe following can increase the risk of developing gum disease:
- Genetics – Some people are genetically susceptible to gum disease.
- Age – The highest rates of gum disease are among adults 65 and older; however, patients of all ages can develop it.
- Stress – It makes more difficult for the body to fight off an infection such as gum disease. Stress can lead to other health issues such as hypertension.
- Smoking – Tobacco use may be one of the most significant risk factors in the development and progression of gum disease. Smoking can wreak havoc on oral as well as overall health leading to diabetes or cancer.
- Teeth clenching and grinding – This adds extra force on the teeth and gums, accelerating the chance of an infection.
- Poor diet – A diet low in nutrients can affect the immune system, making it more difficult for the body to fight off an infection. This increases the risk of gum disease.
Hanford Family Dental Center
Dr. Nikunj Raiyani
At Hanford Family Dental Center we want to give our patients the best and most modern dental care. While dentistry focuses on the prevention and treatment of dental conditions and enhancing the aesthetics of your smile, we add a personal touch to it by understanding that your smile is unique. Through several years of training and experience, Dr. Nikunj Raiyani, Dr. Sukhmani Marwaha, Dr. Navneet Kaur and Dr. Dorsa Jalaee provide the best and most effective results through personalized and customized care. We work alongside you to help you achieve all your dental goals and desires. Our hygienists JD, Daisy and Jessica go the extra mile to educate you and help ensure your comfort throughout the treatment process. Although our office environment is modern, our Front Office staff and assistants ensure that you have a pleasant and smooth experience every time you visit us. At Hanford Family Dental Center, everything is about you!
- Dentist near Lemoore, CA offers diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease
- Dentist near Coalinga, CA offers treatment options for gum infections
- Can gum disease be cured? Learn about treatment of periodontal disease with Hanford dentist
- Hanford dentist wants all patients to know the signs of gum infection and what to do
- Treatments for gum disease available in the Coalinga area
- What are the signs of gum disease for Lemoore area residents?
- Understanding gum disease and the importance of preventive care in Hanford, CA
- Periodontal disease treatment in California
- Dentist in Hanford, CA focuses on the prevention of gum disease
- Respected dentist explains the causes and symptoms of gum disease