Hanford, CA, dentist discusses common myths about root canal therapy
Myth #1: Root canals hurt. Perhaps the biggest misconception about root canals is that they are painful. In fact, the pain people feel is from the infection in the tooth. A root canal is performed when the inside of the tooth, where the tooth pulp is located, is infected. The pulp contains the nerves, which is the cause of the pain. However, once the problem is diagnosed, before treatment begins, the patient will be given anesthesia and the infection, pressure, and pain will be gone by the time the numbness wears off.
Myth #2: It's better to just have the tooth extracted than to go through a root canal. Dentists agree that saving the tooth is a better option than undergoing an extraction. During the procedure, the infected part of the tooth is cleaned out and replaced with a material to provide support. The structure of the tooth is intact and the tooth remains in place. On the other hand, when a tooth is extracted it leaves a gap where the tooth used to be, which can lead to further dental problems such as the remaining teeth drifting out of place and affecting the alignment of all the teeth.
Myth #3: Root canals increase your risk of chronic future diseases. This myth has been circulating for many, many years. However, no studies have linked root canals to future oral or overall health problems. However, an infected tooth that is left untreated can be harmful to the patient's overall health if the infection spreads to the blood stream or other parts of the body.
If you have a pain in your mouth, seek a dentist's help. Dental pain is an indication of an underlying problem and it doesn't simply go away. Only a dentist can examine the tooth and determine the best path for treatment. If you have questions about root canals or other treatment, call the office of Dr. Nikunj Raiyani today.
Hanford Family Dental Center
Dr. Nikunj Raiyani
At Hanford Family Dental Center we want to give our patients the best and most modern dental care. While dentistry focuses on the prevention and treatment of dental conditions and enhancing the aesthetics of your smile, we add a personal touch to it by understanding that your smile is unique. Through several years of training and experience, Dr. Nikunj Raiyani provides the best and most effective results through personalized and customized care. We work alongside you to help you achieve all your dental goals and desires. Our hygienists JD, Daisy and Jessica go the extra mile to educate you and help ensure your comfort throughout the treatment process. Although our office environment is modern, our Front Office staff and assistants ensure that you have a pleasant and smooth experience every time you visit us. At Hanford Family Dental Center, everything is about you!
- Advantages of Treating Damaged Teeth with Root Canal Procedure
- Dental professional near Lemoore, CA offers root canal therapy to save a natural tooth from extraction
- Learn about the cost of root canal treatment for patients near Coalinga, CA
- Hanford CA dentist provides best results for toothache relief web searches!
- Lemoore, CA area dentist describes root canal therapy
- Hanford, CA, dentist explains root canal therapy
- Hanford, CA, dentist discusses common myths about root canal therapy
- Root canal treatment a cost our patients near Lemoore, CA may be able to avoid
- Patients in Hanford, CA ask about the cost of Zoom! tooth whitening treatment
- Patients in Hanford, CA ask, "What is the purpose of a root canal?"
Back to Pediatric Dentistry Home Page